Myofascial Release is a form of bodywork that utilizes gentle sustained pressure to release tension in the body's FASCIAL NETWORK.
So what is FASCIA?
• Fascia is a three-dimensional web that surrounds and infuses all the physical structures of our bodies.
• Fascia connects every part of the body to another. The fascial system gives support and stability, yet allows for flexibility and motion. This tough connective tissue acts as a shock absorber in the body.
• Connective tissue becomes shortened following a fall, whiplash, surgery, or emotional trauma - and progressively tightens over time if left untreated.
• This causes pain and decreased mobility, eventually resulting in faulty mechanics and altered structural alignment in the body.
• Myofascial restriction does not show up on any of the standard tests done today (MRI, CAT scan, x-rays, etc.).
• Myofascial Release technique has helped many people overcome long term (5-20 years) chronic pain problems, even after they were told “you have to live with it” or “it’s all in your head.”
• Pain is a symptom, not the problem. MFR is effective because it treats the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms.
• Many of the symptoms that you experience that become labeled and diagnosed by the medical community could possibly be a result of this network of tissue (fascial system) clamping down on and compressing the structures giving us what we call a diagnosis or symptom.
Check out this amazing link on youtube: "Strolling Under the Skin" -- it is a video of facia under an electron microscope.